FireFighter Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Asymptomatic A-Fib HR 130-150

3 posters

Go down

Asymptomatic A-Fib HR 130-150 Empty Asymptomatic A-Fib HR 130-150

Post  cmyhre Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:46 pm

let me preface this with the fact that im a medic student right now so some of my ALS knowledge may be off a bit...but maybe some of the ALS people can give some opinions...

Heres the scenario..

called out for a early 70s y/o F, with a cc of CP 5/10. She states it feels like her heart is "beating out of her chest". We are first on scene as a bls rescue, do an initial assessment, put her on high flow o2. First set of vitals are 124/88, 138IRR,18NL,WPD,PERRL. She states she has had 7 stents,HTN,DM,and COPD. She states she took an Albuterol treatment and a NTG tab approx 30-40 min prior to our arrival. She states the CP is now gone after admin of o2. ALS arrives and does a 3 and 12 lead ekg. 12 Lead shows A-FIB @ 130-152 with LBBB. Pt is asymptomatic at time of transport,ALS sets up Cardizem drip for transport. My question out of all of this,in a pt with an extensive cardiac Hx like her, would any of you had the pt Vagal down to try and get her to convert or would you have gone with the cardizem, or just provided supportive care/als monitoring to the hospital (6-7 min transport time). Discuss.

cmyhre
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Asymptomatic A-Fib HR 130-150 Empty Re: Asymptomatic A-Fib HR 130-150

Post  AHansen Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:09 pm

With the extensive Cardiac hx I believe that the Cardizem is probably a good call. Always difficult to say whether something would have worked or not. My question is more, do you want to convert this asymptomatic patient in the field or leave that treatment to the hospital...just for the potential of the patient throwing a blood clot after the conversion.
AHansen
AHansen
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:19 pm

The key ingredient missing from this equation is med history. Allot of geriatric Pt's live on a daily basis with A-fib. That being said one of the complications of chronic A-fib is blood pooling in the atrium and creating clots which can be dislodged becoming an emboli. That is why Chronic A-fibbers are on coumadinetc to prevent clotting. Cardizem is indicated in new onset A-fib only. If you administer it to a chronic A-fibber (potentially knocking out he A-fib and creating a temporary sinus rythm) you can throw clots causing a stroke. I would have witheld cardizem and stayed with supportive care and CP protocol. JMO
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://firefighterplanet.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum