FireFighter Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EMT-B's doing IV's

+2
cmyhre
Admin
6 posters

FireFighter Planet :: EMS :: EMS :: ALS

Go down

EMT-B's doing IV's Empty EMT-B''s doing IV''s

Post  Admin Mon May 18, 2009 5:29 pm

In our system we usually have more than one medic on a truck to assisst with ALS skills on ALS calls. Sometimes it would be easier to allow the B to do the IV. I personally think it is a skill that a basic should be allowed to do. However maybe as an extra cert? Like PEPP/PALS and ACLS is to medics? What do you guys think?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://firefighterplanet.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

EMT-B's doing IV's Empty Re: EMT-B's doing IV's

Post  cmyhre Tue May 19, 2009 12:30 pm

In alot of areas of the country, EMTs can start IVs as part of their scope of practice. I personally think it should be included as a BLS skill in AZ, however in the Valley, with nearly every Engine company having 2+ medics on each truck, I doubt we will see it as a BLS skill anytime soon. In systems with ambo only response, I think its silly not to have an E that can start IVs especially on MCI calls.

cmyhre
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post  ecunningham Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:21 pm

I'm all for it!! It's not such an invasive skill that and EMT can't learn it. I do think it should be an extra cert for EMT-B's though and still be up to the medic on scene if he wants to let the B do it.
ecunningham
ecunningham
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TruBluScreamer Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:21 am

From what I hear EMTs are actually expected to do IVs on the reservations....
TruBluScreamer
TruBluScreamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AHansen Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:20 pm

Admin wrote:In our system we usually have more than one medic on a truck to assisst with ALS skills on ALS calls. Sometimes it would be easier to allow the B to do the IV. I personally think it is a skill that a basic should be allowed to do. However maybe as an extra cert? Like PEPP/PALS and ACLS is to medics? What do you guys think?

I was actually just talking to a friend that is in the EMT-B course, currently in MN. She stated that IV's and IO's are "within a year" going to be incorporated into the EMT-B curriculum. Thought that was kind of interesting!
AHansen
AHansen
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post  foam121 Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:18 pm

The only question I would have is how do we control how much fluid is given? what about allowing them to only start hep-locks..I do think there is more to it than just starting the IV. But if you allowed the medic onscene to over see the skill and the EMT worked under his scope, then ya I think it would work. Of course you would have to come up with additional schooling. and CE's

DC
foam121
foam121
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

FireFighter Planet :: EMS :: EMS :: ALS

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum